Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Details

Okay, scholarship summary/rundown. The Lions Club awarded me $1000. The school awarded me the Golden Eagle Scholarship, which was $200. The Rotary Club awarded me $500. I was awarded the Temple-Inland Scholarship of $1000. I was awarded the Cy Alexander Memorial Scholarship for $500. And the final and most impressive scholarship was the Charles Wesley "Chuck" Fortenberry Memorial Scholarship for $740. It wasn't the amount, but rather the justification in the awarding of this scholarship. Chuck was an Army Path Finder, Ranger, Air Borne Infantryman and Lite Fighter before he was accepted into Officer's Training and Flight School. As a Warrant Officer he had been flying the AH-64 Apache helicopter for 10 years. Chuck died in combat, defending an ammunition convoy and the lives of 29 men on the ground. Chuck’s strong desire to excel, provide leadership, love for his country and courage greater than most of us have ever had, makes him our hero for this memorial scholarship. The committee decided that I exhibited the characteristics of Excellence, Leadership, Citizenship, and Courage. This made us all cry. I don't seriously think I deserve such an award, but I humbly accept it. That makes my total $3940. With tuition paid and additional scholarships from the University, I shouldn't have to pay anything the entire first year. Prayerfully, I'll receive the $44,000 scholarship from the University.

4 comments:

Spatula said...

Lol. I wish I could share with everybody. But now I've got to save as much as I can. Just in case.

Anonymous said...

sounds like your rollin in the money. Are you gonna work in college?

Spatula said...

I really don't plan on working in college, but I may just to get some extra funds. Mom and Dad really take care of us, and we're extrememly blessed in that they can cover our expenses.

Anonymous said...

Spatula:

I hope that you do well in school. CWO "Chuck" Fortenberry was my cousin. We joined the US Army at almost the same time, what every young man worth his salt should do for his fellow man. We had not seen each other for nearly 15 years due to our military careers, then met in Korea while he was stationed there in 2003, and I was on Temporary Duty to an Army Exercise there. We planned on retiring together in 2005 and having our entire families, aunts, uncles, cousins get together for a good ole American Family Reunion to celebrate with us. We miss Chuck terribly -- even though we did not get to see each other, we always took comfort knowing that each other was okay, somewhere, and could always catch up on the phone or by e-mail. I personally cannot believe he has been taken from us by those that seek to destroy all that America stands for... Take every opportunity you can to thank a serviceman or servicewoman, and their families, for sacrificing THEIR life everyday so you can go about living your everyday lives without incident. God bless you and yours.

Respectfully, Dirk Brock
dirk.brock@us.army.mil