Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Bible Study

Last night I went to Bible study like I do every Tuesday. Pastor C.F. has been teaching out of Hebrews for the past few weeks and we're now in Chapter 3. Last night we talked about being faithful and not hardening your hearts. Hebrews 3:7-14. Verse 8 reads: "Do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion, in the day of trial in the wilderness." C.F. used the illustration of callouses, those hard, unfeeling spots you get on your body when some action is repeated regularly. He equated the hardening of your heart to getting callouses. As a country girl, I am acquainted with the concept of callouses, and also with the concept of lotion. Cocoa butter, a particular favorite of mine, works wonders on removing callouses and revealing softer skin. So the key to getting rid of callouses is lotion, right? Well, how do we get rid of callouses on our heart? How do we change those insensitive, unfeeling places back into a whole heart sensitive to God's pull and presence? Lotion. The Bible, meditation, and prayer are the lotions of the heart. Now, we women are especially aware of the need to apply lotion before bed each night and when you wake up to keep skin soft, supple, and yielding. So here's the question. Are you using your lotion? Are you softening your heart and yielding to the Holy Spirit? Are you allowing callouses to be softened and replaced with that sensitivity that comes with an intimate walk with the Lord? I know I need to work on it. And I know some of my callouses are extremely thick and need lots of work. But through daily devotional and prayer and God's guiding hand I know "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13). Love and hugs. Toodles!

No comments: