Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Dear Josh: Letter to a Soldier

A poem by Pam, the Spatula

Ok, this one started out as a few lines written down off the top of my head, and I started thinking about Josh and how much he means to me and the conversation we had last night and came up with this. He's an old friend who's moved on to bigger things. It's kind of long, but let me know what you think!

Have you ever noticed that God
Sends you the person you need to get you through each day?
To show you that, when everything goes wrong
It'll all eventually be okay?

That certain someone to reassure
To make you see that all is not lost.
A friend, a companion, a comrade in arms,
Someone to calm you when you don't dare count the cost.

Each day is an experience in trust
And I must renew my faith
For He has plans mightier than me
And I must put Him in first place.

He gives me friends to get me through,
To talk to, to read about, to write.
Instant messages from each blessed gift
Let me know I can't make it without His light.

Because, you see, Josh was online last night.
He’s in the Army, far away, been gone too long,
Only in Seattle, but that’s not close to Texas.
He's my friend, we share views, and he's strong.

We had a discussion about left vs. right
How they're taken for granted and he doesn't understand
The way people flaunt their freedom
Not stopping to think just how they got this free land.

People like him, who are brave, strong, and dedicated
Make me each day prouder to be an American.
He's living "every person's dream, getting shot at"
To keep me free. He's becoming a man.

He says he can't wait to grow up
That he's still so immature,
But, dear Josh, you'll get your chance.
Then you'll grow up too fast to measure.

When you leave around Christmas
And go to the sandbox, to that not so little conflict
You'll understand even more clearly the reality of your duties, and
Your life; the sacrifices might make you sick.

I'm so proud of you and your amazing accomplishments.
I miss you sleeping in the back of the band hall.
And I know responsibility will catch up even faster
As you grow up, go away, and get homesick but just can't call.

You'll go away then come home, but the cute, sweet, and awesome
Josh we all know and love will
Be buried under a new layer, a mask of
Experience, death, observations, and honed skills.

You are a soldier, the bravest of the brave.
Not one of those "fags who are scared of bullets,"
But a true man, willing to fight, and to die
For your country, your friends, and even those you don't get.

You serve, and you described it as your job,
But it's more than a job, it's a calling.
You know why you fight, and you know
That through it all, there will be no rest, no stalling.

Yes, there are those who take you for granted,
Who don't understand why you chose to fight
And one day, quite possibly to die
For the freedom you know is right.

But I promise you now, dear friend
That we will never forget that the choices
You've made to live and serve for us
Will last forever as we lift up our voices.

You gave me encouragement when it should've been
The other way around, you needed it more.
But never will I forget or let lay the words
That opened in my mind a door.

You said I'd be fine and I know you have faith
That all that you said would be true.
So I'll try my best for you every day
And make something of myself, that I could compare to you.

You're a hero already, just because you live
A life that few have the courage to attempt.
I love you for that and for being a friend. For talking
And understanding me, your "little sister", a nymph.

So thank you, Josh, for serving,
For earning the right for those of us who
Live that freedom and each day pray
For our dear brave soldiers like you.

4 comments:

Spatula said...

Thanks Porkchop. I thought it was enough free verse because the rhythm was off. And it actually just follows the train of the conversation. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

very, very awesome!

Buffalokill said...

Josh, yer the man!

Pam, yer the (woe)man!

my favorite line was

"Not one of those 'fags who are scared of bullets,'"

heh. I'm assuming you were quoting him. pssh. fags are gay.

Spatula said...

Yeah, I was quoting him. He's pretty cool. Yes, fags are gay. Good job Chad! :P